Friday, June 6, 2014

Mimi G Style DIY Regal Maxi w/Sash, Short Version


Hey ladies,

So if you're anything like me, I stay far away from anything that makes me look bigger than what I am. Trust me I don't need any help in that department. LOL However, every once in a while I like to test the waters and do something totally out in left field.

As usual I was on Mimi G's website here and came across this tutorial I had to have. Although I stay far away from patterns with a lot of fabric near the waist and hip area (too much bulk) I really wanted to make this Regal Maxi skirt. 


Let me tell you that I was not disappointed with the outcome and mainly how I looked it in.

If you're one of my plus size dolls that steers clear away from clothing that makes you look big, then have no fear, this is one tutorial you must try.

Pattern Description: Regal Maxi w/Sash, short or long version with side pockets, invisible zipper, gathering at the waist and waist band.

Mimi G Style Regal Maxi w/Sash Video Tutorial view Short

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the video tutorial once you were done 
sewing? Yes

Pattern Difficulty: No paper pattern required, just your measurements. Mimi G shows you how to measure yourself and use that measurement to make clothing without any pattern. Easy Breezy!

Was the Video easy to follow? Yes, that is one of the things I really like about Mimi G tutorials, they are videos with her actually sewing. You sew along with her and you can stop along the way and pick back up where you left off.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
I love the fact that it was made to my exact measurement so the fit was just right! My only dislike is the gatherings, 
Lord Help Me! I was so frustrated because of the amount of fabric I had to gather. So if you plan on purchasing this tutorial, do the gathering in sections and do it with a heavier thread. 

Fabric Used: Gray and Blue Patchwork Cotton Denim from Mood Designer Fabrics here
Here are some other suggested fabrics this or this.

Pattern Cut in Size: My exact measurement.

Fitting: Spot-On

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None

Would you sew it again? Yes, the long version in a really thin fabric.

Would you recommend it to others? Yes! 
It really was easy to sew. If you’ve never done 
gatherings that might be an issue however Mimi G is really good and walks you through the process. Remember if you're one of my plus size dolls, do the gathering in sections; you’ll be working with a lot of fabric that will need to be gathered which makes the process a lot easier. 

Conclusion: I love the fact that this skirt is made to YOUR exact measurements, no guessing, praying and hoping that it will fit. No pattern cutting is also a plus.

Accessories: Dooney Bourke Purse, Ugg Shoes and Coach Sunshades.

I'm very new to blogging but stay tuned, there will be more exciting things to come as I learn my way in the blogging world.  


Dee's doing it the Plus Style Way!











No comments:

Post a Comment